Top Tip ahead of Blue Monday
Getting through January can be difficult, the weather is miserable, money is tight and you just feel flat from the Christmas celebrations. Then to add to this, the third Monday of the first month has been labelled ‘the most depressing day of the year’.
Check out our top tip to chase those blues away:
- Look at beautiful pieces of art.- Many people this that art sooths the soul. The best thing is everyone can notice something different so end up taking something unique away from viewing it. Whenever you feel irritated, overwhelmed, or simply down, gazing for some minutes or longer can bring you some balance. Like this art piece from Love Home and Garden
- Reaching out to a friend - Call, text, or email a friend to check in on them can do as much for you as it does for them. You could go one step further and have a full catch up over a coffee and maybe a muffin.
- Go out and take a short walk. - It’s well know that getting out in nature and chase the blues away, the change of scenery always does you good. If you’re stuck inside four walls, and you’re feeling really down, the chances are that outside air will help. Even if it’s city air.
- Work with your hands - Manual labor can be the best thing so whether it’s sweeping the floor or baking it’s the answer to edginess and restlessness. As many of us are still working at home there are lots of options and it could be the best five minute to get you more upbeat. We like the idea of Gardening and this set from Wilko
- Hug someone - This works best if you’re hugging someone or a pet who wants to be hugged, so it can’t hurt to ask first. When you comfort someone else with a hug, you can’t help but feel comforted, too.
- Soak in a warm bath - Create your own at-home remedy by relaxing in a hot bath. Even just 10 to 15 minutes of a warm soak has physical and mental healing properties.
These Sanctuary Spa Wellness De-Stress Bath Salts from Superdrug which are perfect
- Put on your favourite outfit - Clothes influence how people feel and interact with the world. Wearing your favourite outfit or one you feel totally comfortable in can easily fix for a bad mood or inspire confidence throughout the day.
- Get Physical - Doing exercise is one of the best things to reduce stress and boosts your overall mood. So why not put your favourite song on and dance it out to feel better for five minutes.
- Do something creative - Creative activities can provide a positive outlet for releasing emotional distress. So why not take some time to heal and restore the emotional balance by doing some colouring or drawing. The Works have lots of great product like this colouring combo
- Drink a cup of tea - The healing herbs and flowers used in teas bring immediate anxiety relief. For the best results, simmer a pot of caffeine-free varieties like chamomile, peppermint, valerian, or lemon balm. Grape Tree have an impressive selection to chose from
- Drink more water - Not many people managed to drink the recommended 2 litres a day, but the body is sensitive to dehydration, and lack of water can cause drops in mood. If you find yourself feeling down, make sure you drink enough water. We are loving the range in Poundland
At the end of the day, there are so many things you can do to chase the blues away, but it all starts with you wanting to do so.