Believe in Blackburn!
22nd Nov - 25th Dec
The 2019 Blackburn Christmas lights switch on will herald the start of a packed programme of festive events throughout the town centre, pick up your guide from the Ask Me Point in Victoria Court and click HERE for more details!
Blackburn Comes Alive! The official lights switch on event will take place on Saturday 23 November from 12pm, and promises to be an amazing, magical day.
A ‘Greatest Showman’ inspired parade will lead visitors from Cathedral Square, through The Mall shopping centre, and along King William Street at 2pm and 5pm, and will include stilt walkers and acrobatic elves.
The final parade will culminate in a fantastic all-singing, all-dancing finale show from 5.40pm when Father Christmas will carry out the official switch on from the stage outside the Town Hall, assisted by the Mayor of Blackburn with Darwen, Councillor Jim Shorrock. The event will be concluded with a spectacular fireworks display.
- The magical programme of free high-quality events on the day of the switch on will also including:-
- lantern making workshops ahead of the Festival of Light Lantern Parade on Saturday 14th December,
- A Frost Fair inside Blackburn Cathedral Crypt,
- Aerial artist performances inside the Cathedral,
- An Ice Dragon walkabout from King George’s Hall,
- Santa’s Fantastical Post Office grotto experience in The Mall,
- A magical Illusionist and your chance to meet Peppa Pig at Blackburn Market,
- Christmas-themed craft sessions at Blackburn Museum
- Art Gallery and festive storytelling at Blackburn Central Library.
The stage on King William Street will feature local talented performers entertaining the crowds, including star of King George’s Hall’s Cinderella Pantomime Kevin Simm, and Blackburn born award-winning children’s author Christina Gabbitas who will be reading from her latest book and performing on stage with local schoolchildren.
In addition to the stunning lights switch on, a huge schedule of events has been created running right up to Christmas Day – including new events for 2019 such as the Frost Fair inside Blackburn Cathedral and Twilight Markets on Thursdays in Blackburn Market.
The programme is a partnership between Blackburn BID and Blackburn with Darwen Council, supported by The Mall and town centre partners.