The largest owner of community shopping centres in the UK. The Mall has been monitoring and driving down its environmental impact since 1999.
The Enviromall initiative
The EnviroMall initiative aims to assist shopping centres and their retailers to improve their performance and reduce their impact on the environment. By committing to making a change at a local level, shopping centres and their tenants can aim to build a better world for us all.
EnviroMall is the first partnership accreditation scheme developed specifically for shopping centres to monitor and reduce environmental impact. It is the brainchild of Capital and Regional and builds on its excellent environmental track record of reducing emissions and waste.
Mark Bourgeois, Executive Director:
Everyone knows how important it is to protect our environment. The stark reality is that retailing, and shopping centres in particular, currently consume large amounts of energy and water and generate millions of tonnes of waste. Reducing our industry's negative environmental impact is an urgent priority.
How we are doing it?
The initiative sets out clear targets for improvement and provides practical tools that will help any shopping centre or retailer reduce their consumption, raise efficiency and monitor performance. This is delivered through:
- Partnership - bringing together experts in their fields to pool knowledge and resources.
- Environmental Management System - developed specifically for shopping centres to tackle individual challenges through Impact Improvement Plans. Each shopping mall is assessed individually and has targets set to achieve the levels of improvement needed for accreditation.
- Through accreditation and continually working to improve standards, the ultimate goal is to achieve Self Sustainable Specification - S3 - at all shopping malls.
- Education - testing new and established renewable energies; school packs that fit into the national curriculum; and local communities through the annual EnviroMall Week.
working with communities
EnviroMall accreditation is based on more than changing the way shopping centres are managed as facilities to improve environmental impacts. We work with:
- Shoppers by raising awareness of environmental issues through our annual EnviroMall Week
- Academic institutions to test new technologies and support environmental research through the S3 programme
- Retailers to help them lower their impacts
- Schools to deliver tailored educational packs
- Local authorities by putting them in touch with shoppers
EnviroMall was established with the following partners who now form a steering group that oversees the accreditation process. Our founding partners are :
The Carbon Trust
The Carbon Trust, the Government agency working to reduce carbon emissions
Envirowise, the Government agency for waste management
A sustainability consultancy specialising in property and helping to establish our accreditation scheme